This property is a grade II listed building in the East Cliff Conservation Area. It is part of a uniform terrace of regency revival style buildings, fronting Marine Parade. The building date from 1845-1850 and was originally built as terraced houses. It is currently a hostel and in need of refurbishment. We carried out research to develop our heritage statement which revealed that many alterations have happened since it’s construction. The most significant being the conversion into a hotel in 1877 (ref.99.2195).
Part of the works was to schedule out the 103 windows and note the condition as to propose repair or replacement, Historic photographs show that the glazing arrangement now, is the same as it was in 1984, when the property was known as the Royal Promenade Hotel. but some of the original windows were far earlier so it was for us to debate the correct period and style v what was currently installed and what was a suitable replacement where required. (days of work just to get to final answer on a couple of windows!)
Planning has been gained and the project is our for tender with the clients